Built in 1799, the meetinghouse was the center of life in this New England community. It served as a church and the first town hall. In 1986, the building was heavily damaged in a fire. Pictures show town residents and firefighters working to save artifacts from the building. The non profit, The Proprietors of the Ware Center Meeting House, Inc. was formed to oversee the restoration of the building. The Proprietors received a Massachusetts Historical Commission grant to repair the sanctuary walls and ceiling and to restore and paint the outside of the building. Since then, the building has a new roof and museum quality restoration of the kitchen. We also built a shed to replicate a horse shed with recovered wood from the Ware-Gilbertville covered bridge.
A museum under the direction of the Ware Historical Society opened in 2009. Ongoing programs and a summer concert series take place from May to December.
There is still a lot of work to be done. The north wall project and ongoing window repair and replacement are the next projects.
Please join us in restoring this national treasure. To offer talent, time or treasure to support the restoration efforts please call 413-967-8304 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Proprietors of the Ware Center Meeting House. P.O. Box 1401. Ware, MA 01082